|FROM ||Ruben Safir
|SUBJECT ||Subject: [NYLXS - HANGOUT] Computer Archotecture Quiz
|From owner-hangout-outgoing-at-mrbrklyn.com Fri Oct 31 06:27:06 2014
Received: by mrbrklyn.com (Postfix)
id D239C161166; Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:05 -0400 (EDT)
Received: by mrbrklyn.com (Postfix, from userid 28)
id BA70E161168; Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:05 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from mailbackend.panix.com (mailbackend.panix.com [126.96.36.199])
by mrbrklyn.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 04983161166
for ; Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:04 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from panix2.panix.com (panix2.panix.com [188.8.131.52])
by mailbackend.panix.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id B07E512960
for ; Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:02 -0400 (EDT)
Received: by panix2.panix.com (Postfix, from userid 20529)
id 9527833C79; Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:02 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 06:27:02 -0400
From: Ruben Safir
Subject: [NYLXS - HANGOUT] Computer Archotecture Quiz
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.23 (2014-03-12)
Here is a quick comp sci quiz from grad school
The last two questions have images of logic gates so the pdf with the
images are linked here:
This is essentialy a review of the midterm...
(FA10E) 16 =(??)8
(101001 )2 = (??)16
(26789) 10 =(??)8
1. Convert the decimal number 0.625 into floating point IEEE Standard
754 single precision:
2. Perform the following binary multiplication of two binary numbers:
10111011 and 11101101
TRUE OR FALSE
1. At a top level, a computer consists of CPU, memory, and I/O
2. Program execution consists of repeating the process of instruction
fetch and instruction execution.
3. An I/O module cannot exchange data directly with the processor.
4. A key characteristic of a bus is that it is not a shared
5. The method of using the same lines for multiple purposes is known as
6. Both sign-magnitude representation and twos complement representation
use the most significant bit as a sign bit
7. With asynchronous timing the occurrence of events on the bus is
determined by a clock.
8. It is extremely easy to convert between binary and hexadecimal
9. A key requirement for PCIe is high capacity to support the needs of
higher data rate I/O devices such as Gigabit Ethernet.
1. The von Neumann architecture is based on which concept?
A. data and instructions are stored in a single read-write memory
B. the contents of this memory are addressable by location
C. execution occurs in a sequential fashion
D. all of the above
2. A sequence of codes or instructions is called __________.
A. software B. memory
C. an interconnect D. a register
3. A(n) _________ is generated by some condition that occurs as a result
of an instruction execution.
A. timer interrupt B. I/O interrupt
C. program interrupt D. hardware failure interrupt
4. A bus that connects major computer components (processor, memory,
I/O) is called a __________.
A. system bus B. address bus
C. data bus D. control bus
5. The __________ are used to designate the source or destination of the
data on the data bus.
A. system lines B. data lines
C. control lines D. address lines
6. Which of the following is (are) correct?
A. 25 = (2 x 102) + (5 x 101)
B. 289 = (2 x 103) + (8 x 101) + (9 x 100)
C. 7523 = (7 x 103) + (5 x 102) + (2 x 101) + (3 x 100)
D. 0.628 = (6 x 10-3) + (2 x 10-2) + (8 x 10-1)
7. The TL supports which of the following address spaces?
D. all of the above
8. The QPI _________ layer is used to determine the course that a packet
will traverse across the available system interconnects.
A. link B. protocol
C. routing D. physical
1. A __________ register specifies the address in memory for the next
read or write.
2. If two numbers are added, and they are both positive or both
negative, then _________ occurs if and only if the result has the
3. A _________ register contains the data to be written into memory or
receives the data read from memory.
4. The most common classes of interrupts are: program, timer, I/O and
5. A __________ is a communication pathway connecting two or more
6. The _________ lines are used to control the access to and the use of
the data and address lines.
7. The _________ function is needed to ensure that a sending QPI entity
does not overwhelm a receiving QPI entity by sending data faster than
the receiver can process the data and clear buffers for more incoming
We wish to synthesize a 2 to 4 decoder with active outputs low.
1. Establishing the truth table of the circuit.
2. Determine output functions Y= f(A,B) A and B are the i
Analyze the circuit below and define its role.